Friday 8 August 2008

8th August 2008

Woke up with some difficulty this morning as it was nice to have a normal bed and I stayed up a bit late as I used the wrong gadget as a time keep device. After showering and doing the packing thing, I checked out and set up camp in the seating bit as can't check into next hotel until 1pm. So far I've been flitting between coffee and facebook, so now everyone thinks I'm crazy with a vast array of caffeinated comments peppering the facebook. I'm very excited. About Summer Sonic and about going home and seeing peeps and new house. ARgh, man took away the coffee!!! I may check out Osaka-Jo (the castle) and the Osaka Museum of History this afternoon, and then head to Tempozan, as it's meant to be a nice port area, which I like at night. One day, in between the realms of musical euphoria, I want to see the Blade Runner esque Dotombari, which I suspect I should have seen last night. One I may also check out the Umeda Sky building, if I have time, it's meant to be dramatic and you can go up it to gaze across the landscape of ant like folk.

I shall let the caffeine simmer for now.

After successfully navigating the easy to use and distinctly empty Osaka underground service and battling with a man who sent me the wrong way, I found my excellent Keihan Tenmabashi Hotel, was a bit early so dropped off bag and pattered around outside a bit. Come 1pm, I checked into my very nice, though Japanese sized, room and after a shifty shower I burst forth to discover the nearby area. Was feeling very good and buzzing on caffeine. First stop: Osaka History Museum. Very good, quite a bit of English, some extremely intricate models of old style Japanese villages, a hands on archaeology section and a life size mock up of a Victorian Osaka street. Good view of the castle and park as well. Museum was a bit short though and the extra admission for the temporary exhibition wasn't worth it. The building itself is crazy and cool look though.

Next up was a short walk through Osaka-Jo gardens/park and across the moat to see the spectacular, though rebuilt, castle/jo. On scaling the steps to its entrance, past a water spraying device, I entered the castle and looked a bit confused. Mainly as its definitely not a castle on the inside, it's like an armadillo. Inside is a pristine, fully modern, built recently museum about the castle, meaning none of the original layout of the castle has been recreated. Built initially by Toyotomi Hideyoshi after he unified Japan, it took 3 years and was finished by its 100,000 strong workforce in 1583. Its apparently impregnable status was shattered 32 years later when it was destroyed by Tokuawa Ieyasu. Destroyed and rebuilt a few times more before being built out of concrete in 1931 and refurbished in 1997. Anyway, some of the displays concerning a number of mysterious archaeological findings were interesting and there was a great view from the top observation deck.

On leaving, I got slightly lost, met some metal birds and became unlost, so got the tube to the Temporzan bay area, which was NOT as good as Tokyo bay area, but I had my camera charged. I had a very fancy sushi meal with Udon noodles, with was massive. Very yummy as well. Then my brain broke and for some reason I thought I only had 1 hour till the Olympics opening ceremony, when in fact I had 3. So I rushed back, past a so called biggest Ferris wheel in the world, though aren't they all these days? Spent the rest of the evening watching the phenomenally amazing opening ceremony. Those Chinese sure know hot to put on a show. 2012 could be interesting....

No comments: