Sunday 18 May 2008

18th May 2008

Ah, the curious intricacies of solo travel, which I am once more in the furry depths of. Waking in my windowless room, I showered under a warm trickle of water and pondered the day ahead. After which I bust up to get my free brekkie and booked my next hostel in Phuket, after some obligatory facebooking. Still catching up on birthday messages and photo uploads. Tried to work out a general time plan for Thailand, and failed, so gave up and decided to just wing it crazy style. Though I'm tempted by a live on scuba diving boat. I may just make Thailand a scuba diving hol. A bit like Malaysia. I got the fever.

Anyway, talking of cultural ignorances, once entering the central market, I was accused of such by a random Malaysian guy who initially chatted to me with a friendly tone. He then proceeded to deflame backpacking in general and specifically British backpackers, and on a strange tangent, my internet research skillery. This obviously led onto the natural course of civil conversation and he said he'd take me to the butterfly house. I said "No" and sauntered off after distracting him with an abstract witticism.

In real life I may not have appeared so eloquent.

I wandered through the vast collection of indoor market shops/stalls, which are far too organised and clean for a chinatown market. I settled on a maraca type musical instrument with the idea to collect musical instruments from around the world. Dropping it off back at the hostel and found out the post office is shut today (sunday) and tomorrow (public holiday), which sucks.

Made my way to the LRT, not before witnessing a guy who was about to get hit by a bus, leap majestically into a martial arts pose. Luckily, the bus driver didn't follow suit and just applied the brakes in a more practical solution. After a close shave with a train door, I made it to the KLCC, where I've wandered around trying to find things on my vast "to buy" list. Unfortunately, most of it is not available in Gucci or Rolex. On the plus side, by entering an empty coffee shop I have somehow made it popular and fill up. Must be my hair.

Rex and Ad currently in Doha, Ad still with his acoustically orchestral souvenir. Turns out this regular coffee is nearly half a litre and 7 times the strong.

No comments: